Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The waiting game

     This whole journey has been a waiting game. In the beginning, this drove me nuts. Now, I'm used to it. I was supposed to find out my genetic testing results and schedule surgery on Monday. Well, looks like insurance held up the genetic tests and now I will get the results on Friday. No biggie, the results won't change my decision on having a double mastectomy.  If I am positive for a BRCA mutation, I will most likely be adding an oophorectomy to my repertoire!
     Last Friday I met with my plastic surgeon, whom I really like and respect. We went over my reconstruction options and a step by step of the whole tissue expander process.  The reconstruction phase alone take close to a year, so I'm not putting any thought or concern into it right now. I kept myself busy last week stocking up on button front jammies and camisoles with shelf bras to hold my drains. I did learn that I have a very tentative surgery date-June 30th. Supposedly the breast surgeon and plastic surgeon are working on moving that date up. I sure hope so, I am ready to get this cancer out of me. NOW!

1 comment: